Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick


Ancient Legend Comes to Life

In 450 AD. the British are under the rule of Vortigern. He is a mean and cruel king. Uthr Pendragon was king before that but Vortigern took his kingdom from him and Urthr dies. It is believed that Urthr didn't have an legitimate male heir, but he did. When Arthur was born he was switched to protect t his real identity, the rightful heir the Pendragon thrown.

As a child, Arthur meets Gwenhwyfar and know that she is the one he will marry but as adults, there are obstacles in the way of their union.

When Arthur is old enough to become a warrior he gets his training in Vortigern's army. By then Vortigern knows his true identity be wants to keep his enemy close. Arthur brought some loyal friends with him who also served in the evil army. They learn the art or war together and vow to overthrow Vortigern eventually and make Arthur the rightful king.
Helen Hollick leaves out all the usual mystery and magic. There is no mention of Merlin and Lancelot, which in my opinion, makes her version more plausible than other versions of the story.

This book is over 550 pages but reads very fast. I had some late nights because I had trouble putting this book down and when I did, I couldn't stop thinking of it! Hollick's writing is smooth and beautiful. She seamlessly transports her readers back to the Dark Ages.

This is book one of a trilogy. I don't usually finish trilogies due to the time commitment. There are so many books out there that I want to read and not enough time. However, I plan to read this complete trilogy. I can hardly wait to read what happens next!

4.5/5

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad Hollick left out Merlin and Lancelot as well. I like the realism in this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyce, thanks fro all of us at HT for your lovely award!

    Steven, I was just promised a review copy of book 2. I'm really excited about it! Book 2 is due out in September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teddy Rose this book sounds great! Loved your review. Adding it to my TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I found it a bit dry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, thanks!

    Naida, I am looking forward to the next one.

    Serena, too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete