Friday, February 8, 2008

Cover story: The Other Boleyn Girl

The original edition of The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory feels a bit like the book that launched a thousand imitations when it comes to the whole headless girl phenomenon that has been so prominent on historical fiction covers for the last few years. It may well not have been the first headless woman cover ever, but there is no doubt that it was influential, and I have to say, of the various covers that I have seen of TOBG, the first one is definitely still my favourite. Before I read it, I used to pick up the book and look at it just about every time I went to the bookstore until I finally stopped wanting and actually bought it.




Of course, with the movie out soon, we now have the movie tie-in covers as well. This seems to be the main cover that is being used most places:




But this is the one that we have in Australia. When I went to the department store on Thursday, there were so many copies of this books it was unbelievable. I guess they are figuring that the trailers are starting to play so people's interest will be piqued. Unfortunately I couldn't find one of the book cover, but have had to go with the audiobook cover instead, so it's a bit small, but hopefully you get the general idea!




Of the two movie tie-in covers, I definitely prefer the Australian one. The other one is just so green!

Speaking of the movie, the official site is now up.

No comments:

Post a Comment