Sunday, April 1, 2012

Kailana is currently reading...


Just in time for the centennial anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic comes a vivid, romantic, and relentlessly compelling historical novel about a spirited young woman who survives the disaster only to find herself embroiled in the media frenzy left in the wake of the tragedy. 
Tess, an aspiring seamstress, thinks she's had an incredibly lucky break when she is hired by famous designer Lady Lucile Duff Gordon to be a personal maid on the Titanic's doomed voyage. Once on board, Tess catches the eye of two men, one a roughly-hewn but kind sailor and the other an enigmatic Chicago millionaire. But on the fourth night, disaster strikes.

Amidst the chaos and desperate urging of two very different suitors, Tess is one of the last people allowed on a lifeboat. Tess’s sailor also manages to survive unharmed, witness to Lady Duff Gordon’s questionable actions during the tragedy. Others—including the gallant Midwestern tycoon—are not so lucky.

On dry land, rumors about the survivors begin to circulate, and Lady Duff Gordon quickly becomes the subject of media scorn and later, the hearings on the Titanic. Set against a historical tragedy but told from a completely fresh angle, The Dressmaker is an atmospheric delight filled with all the period's glitz and glamour, all the raw feelings of a national tragedy and all the contradictory emotions of young love.
I never really could believe that Lady Duff Gordon and her husband could be heartless enough to pay for their own boat on the night that the Titanic went down. I have always liked the idea better that they were helping out a bit because when the Titanic went down, the crew stopped being paid at that moment. They even had a bit of a ceremony to hand out the money and I think they would have kept it quiet if it was for negative reasons. So, I will be curious to see how Alcott handles the situation.

4 comments:

  1. Do you know if the author is related to Louisa May Alcott?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this one right now too! It is my book club's read for this month so I am looking forward to seeing how the other members like it. I know nothing about the Duff Gordon's either so I think I'll finish the book before I try to look up any additional information on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also reading this as we speak. Really enjoying this take on The Titanic. Looking for some great discussions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this one on reserve now. Will be looking for your review.

    ReplyDelete