Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Teddy's Best of 2010

This was another good year of historical fiction for me.  How could it not be?  There are so many wonderful historical fiction authors out there these days.  2010 was an especially good year for WWII themed books as you will see below.  Here are my favourites:

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

I read this all the way back in January but it has stuck with me. 
WWII fiction at it's finest! Frankie Bard, a reporter in London reports for Edward R. Murrow in th war and war effort while experiencing the nightly bombing raids first hand.  Meanwhile, Postmistress, Iris James struggle on the ethics of delivering upseting letter.

 Annexed by Sharon Dogar

Also based in WWII this YA novel is written from the imagined point of view of Peter van Pels's.  The boy trapped in the annex with Anne Frank and her family.  This is a wouunderful book for both young adults and adults.


The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundarsen

In the 16th and 17th centuries, this is and epic adventure and love story of the emperor of the Mughal Empire and Mehrunnisa, his true love.  More historical fiction at it's finest.


The Confessions of Catherine De Medici by C.W. Gortner

Back in 2009 C.W. Gortner dazzled me with his book The Last Queen.  In 2010 he did it again with The Confessions of Catherine De Medici.  He tells a more balanced story of this powerful and controversial woman in history.

Restitution:Nazis, Communists, and the Fight For a Lost Heritage 

Based on a true story, this book tells the story who flied to Canada from Czechoslovakia during WWII.  With the help of an "honest smuggler" they try to recover paintings stolen from them in their homeland.

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed The Postmistress too, even if the title was a little misleading.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list,,and more great reads to add to my ever growing list of books..Happy New year..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also if you have not read it Trudy's Promise is another great read,,taking place in Germany when the wall went up..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your favorites! I absolutely love C.W. Gortner's work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list. Love the image for the post...mind if I borrow it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to see The Postmistress on your list, too, Teddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dizzy, it was kinda of misleading.

    Devonaz, Happy New Year. Glad you like my list. Trudy's Promise does sound good. I added it to my TBR.

    Svea, me too!

    Robin, sorry, the image is not mine to give. It is the work of Alex.

    Kelly, it deserved a mention.

    ReplyDelete