Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Challenge: The Alphabet in Historical Fiction

It's time for a new letter in The Alphabet in Historical Fiction but first let's take a look at our entries for the letter B:

1 - Heather (Epoch Tales) - Black Robe by Brian Moore

2 - Whitney (She is Too Fond of Books) - The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory

3 - Teddy (So Many Precious Books, So Little Time) - Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors

4 - Sarah (Reading The Past) - The Boundless Deep by Kate Brallier

5 - Leya (Wandeca Reads) - Blindspot by Jane Kamensky and Jill Lepore

6 - Robin (The Lady Gwynn's Kingdom) - The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper

7 - Cat (Tell Me a Story) - The Fraud by Barbara Ewing

8 - Miss Moppet (Misadventures of Moppet) - Madame du Barry by Jean Plaidy

9 - Rowenna (Hyaline Prosaic) - Mr Timothy by Louis Bayard

10 - Stark Raving Bibliophile - March by Geraldine Brooks

11 - Ana (Aneca's World) - Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell

12 - Marg (Reading Adventures) - The Master of Verona by David Blixt

13 - Gautami Tripathy - Midwife of The Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins

14 - Carrie (Opalescent Essence) - Honolulu by Alan Brennert

15 - Daphne (Tanzanite) - Desire The Kingdom by Paula Zabka

16 - Alex (Le Canape) - Les Aventures Extraordinaires de Adele Blanc-Sec by Jacques Tardi


Lucy from Enchanted by Josephine left her A letter post on the B's, it's The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James

Since the next letter would collide with the season's festivities we decided to jump the Jan 1st th date and you have a whole month to read your book. The next letter with be presented on Jan 15th.


And now it's time to remember the rules and introduce the new letter!

Each fortnight (1 month this time) you have to write a blog post about an historical fiction book of your choice (it might even be something you already read before), but it MUST be related to the letter of the fortnight.

You have several possibilities:

- the first letter of the title

- the first letter of the author's first name or surname

- the first letter of a character's first name or surname

- the first letter of a place where an historical event took place


You just have to choose one of them and participate.


Please check our blog each 1st and 15th of the month to find out our new letter, and then link your post (not your blog) back to our page through Mr Linky (see below). Then come and check to see who else has posted and visit their blog to find out all the details of the book they were reading.



This time you have until the Jan 15th to complete your mission.



And the next month will be dedicated to the letter C:


11 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying this challenge! Its the first one I've attempted. I even sat down a few days ago and made out a tentative list of what books I'll use for each letter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying it! I have a list mentally, although I have about three options for this letter so I am trying to decide which one I am going to use!

    Love the C Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad we have some extra time as I'm halfway through the book I thought I'd have to use and I don't like it at all. Now I can look for something else.

    I'm enjoying the challenge very much, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having a good time visiting everyone's blogs and reading their reviews. I've also gone through and made notes on what books I might highlight for each letter, though I haven't decided for sure on some of them. And I still have no idea about "X."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marg:) Am I always posting my letter just right after the fact? Darn! I wrote my post today for the letter B thinking I'm supposed to post only on the 1st or 15th of the month. I'll try to get my next letter posted before. Thanks- I'm loving this challenge..gets me to look back at some of my favourites too.

    Anyway here's the link: http://enchantedbyjosephine.blogspot.com/2009/12/book-moments-couple-of-more-challenges.html

    ...promise to do better for the letter C:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ms Lucy, glad you are enjoying it. You are supposed to post during the 2 weeks after we present the letter till the eve of the next letter presentation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really enjoying this challenge, though in most cases I'm re-thinking old favourites rather than posting about new books. But I'm definitely adding a lot of other people's posts to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading the C book - again, not something I probably would have picked up if left to my own devices, but I'm glad I read it! And C is, ::cough::, a particularly special letter for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally got around to posting...phew, just in time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also did one. Today, Jan 14th. but5 Mr. Linky is no longer taking links. My post for "C": http://teddyrose.blogspot.com/2010/01/postmistress-by-sarah-blake.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Better late than never! My C post is finally here and it's about The Time of Singing by Elizabeth Chadwick. Review plus mini-interview!

    http://misadventuresofmoppet.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/year-of-the-historical-the-time-of-singing-by-elizabeth-chadwick/

    ReplyDelete