Friday, August 3, 2007

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova



I love historical fiction, bibliographies and history in general so when I heard of a book about the Dracula legend I immediately put it on my wish list.

I ended up never buying it but when I happened to come across a bookring at Bookcrossing I just couldn't resist signing up for it.


I really liked the story concept and the way she tells it - it has elements of mystery, thriller, romance - making it more easy to read than if it was just an account of the facts. There are 3 different stories in it, in 3 different periods (1930, 1959 and 1972). This way we are not only learning about Dracula and his time but of the reality of our world in those days, especially in the Eastern European countries in the 30s and 50s.

I must say I only know the basics about the Dracula legend but the book seemed to describe a lot of the popular beliefs regarding Vlad, the Impaler. Also all the historical information she provoded about the Ottoman Empire and it's influence in the neighbouring countries was really interesting.

I had just one main problem with the book, I think it is too long and in some parts there's too much information being described that could be cut and make for a more interesting story. This way I had to force myself to pick it up and read when I usually just can't put down this type of book.

Still it it makes for an entertaining read, just not as good as I thought it would be.

1 comment:

  1. Because of the hype when this came out, I bought it the first day I saw it in the shops. Only problem is, that was 2 years ago, and I still haven't even read a single page!

    ReplyDelete