Sunday, July 22, 2007

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Ana says:

I must say I really enjoyed this book. However I thought it was more interesting till they leave Scotland. Once they start off to the Caribbean it loses a bit of it's appeal to me and it took me longer to read that part than the first one.

The book starts with Jamie and Claire 2 centuries apart. Claire discovers Jamie has survived Culloden and decides, with the blessing of their daughter, to go back in time.

Jamie has had a complicated life since surviving the battle, that includes time spent in prison, an illegitimate son and a loveless marriage with Laoghaire.
After professing their love for each other they have to deal with some of these issues and due to Jamie's current smuggling activities are forced to embark towards the West Indies trying to find Young Ian (Jamie's nephew). The story worked really well for me till this point, then it slows a bit during their time at sea and near the end it picks up it's pace in preparation for the next book.

I think Gabaldon's strongest point besides research is how well developed her characters are, and I think I prefer the parts where she focus more on the characters themselves than in their adventures.

In short – a very good book and if you haven't started this series yet you should because the first one is EXCELLENT!

Marg says:

It has been years since I read this book, but it is without doubt my favourite of the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. Now, that is actually saying something, because Jamie is one of the most droolworthy men in literature (Oh Jamie... sigh) despite the fact that my brother-in-law's name is Jamie, has Scottish heritage, and has auburn hair. Somehow I manage to differentiate the two very clearly in my brain...thank goodness! LOL!

I do agree with Ana that the action in the first half is definitely better. I love the research that is being done to try and find Jamie in the past, I love the scene where they find him, I love the blossoming relationship between Roger and Brianna, the race to physically find Jamie, and then Jamie having to actually explain to Claire exactly what his current living arrangements are when minutes after having found him again she is embroiled in, what shall we call it, one of Jamie's little adventures! In fact the print shop scene is probably my favourite scene out of the whole series! Oh, and Mr Willoughby is a fantastic addition to the cast of characters in this book!

Just thinking about it makes me want to pick up the book, open it randomly to a page and start reading! Maybe I will just do that! Sounds like a pretty good way to spend a Saturday night to me - me and Jamie....oh, and Claire as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment