Monday, January 6, 2014

Marg's Best of 2013





The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley

It is no great secret that I am a bit of a Susanna Kearsley fan girl.  I am not sure what it is exactly but her voice, the stories she chooses to tell, the dual time frames, the characters, the relationships and more really work for me. I actually started this book at the end of last year but I deliberately dragged the reading of it out because I wanted it to be one of the first books I finished this year!





Lighthouse Bay by Kimberley Freeman

A few years ago I saw that Paullina Simons blurbed one of Kimberley Freeman's earlier books but I didn't end up reading it. Last year I finally read one of Freeman's books,  Wildflower Hill, and liked it a lot,  but I was totally engaged with this book.  I have now read my way through her back list and have her latest book here to read soon.

Other highly recommended reads from 2013

The Falcons of Montabard by Elizabeth Chadwick
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
The Wedding Shroud by Elisabeth Storrs
Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
The Little Russian by Susan Sherman
The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth
The Chalice by Nancy Bilyeau
Daughter of the Sky by Michelle Diener
Venetia by Georgette Heyer
The Chevalier by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
The Gods of Heavenly Punishment by Jennifer Cody Epstein
Cascade by Maryanne O'Hara
The Tudor Conspiracy by C W Gortner
The Longing by Candice Bruce
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED The Firebird as well! After reading that and The Shadowy Horses, I am a total fan girl of Susanna Kearsley as well :). I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Wildflower Hill, I have that one on my shelf to read as well. So many great books on your list, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, Marg! The Firebirds will probably make my list--if I ever get around to composing it--and I've got Lighthouse Bay and Falcons of Montabard waiting for me on Mount TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read both The Firebird and The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. I find her writing style comfortable, almost hypnotic. I want to go to the places she's writes about - and by the end of the book, I'm there. Problem is I don't want to come home =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keen to read The Firebird as well. Thanks for posting about it. Have added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete