Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday Threads

It's Thursday again, which means time for our weekly Thursday Threads feature. This week, we'd like to know:

Where and when are you reading?

Here are our responses:

Marg: I am currently reading Omamori by Richard McGill. It is a big, juicy old style saga set in Japan during the late 1930s in the lead up to World War II and I believe it goes through to the end of the war. It features a Japanese family and their American business partners, and there are forbidden romances, drama aplenty and a very interesting historical setting. This was originally recommended by Misfit who seems to have a special talent for finding these older stories that have dropped off the radar a bit!

I am also listening to A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon in the car. I am on disc 9 of 49 (yes, 49) so I am going to be listening to it for a while! In this instalment in the Outlander series, the action is focussed in the days leading up to the American Revolution. This is a reread for me.

Nanette: I'm reading The Odyssey by Homer for a Greek and Roman Mythology class that I am taking at Coursera. I'm sure I've read at least parts of The Odyssey before, but I don't think I've ever read the whole thing. I'm also about to start Katherine by Anya Seton -- watch for my review in a couple of weeks!

Julie: I am currently re-reading a set of two books, published in Australia that follows the journey of a series of families from Silesia in Prussia (now Poland) to South Australia, & then in the case of my distant family to New South Wales.

Both books are now out of print, but I am going to enjoy the challenge of trying to locate them!
The books are the Hartwig Family History & the Hohnberg Family History. Both books will be reviewed shortly!

Now we'd like to hear from you! Please leave your response in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. I'm currently in 1770s Vienna with young Maria Antoinia, but the setting will soon shift to the Bourbon court of France as Maria transforms into Marie Antoinette. I'm reading becoming Marie Antoinette by Juliet Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in England, 1215, during the reign of King John. I'm reading Defiant by Kris Kennedy and it's wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I am partial to a bit of Plantagenet drama!

      Delete