Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cover story: Katherine




Katherine is Anya Seton's most famous novel. The love story between the beautiful Katherine Swynford and the powerful Duke of Lancaster, John de Gaunt is definately a must read. I really enjoy these book covers, except for two: the third one, too yellow for my taste and the last one, the Turkish cover who got the historical period completely wrong.
I have a soft spot for the oldies, like the first cover or even the French ones (number 6 is soo Brigitte Bardot-ish!). Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Veronica Veronese was used in one of the most recent copies of Katherine, and I have to confess that it really draws my attention.

Which one is your favorite?

4 comments:

  1. I had cover no. 1, the paperback which I bought at the old Coliseum bookstore in NY. Sigh, how I miss that store. I'm torn between 1 and 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe I love the Brigitte Bardot cover! Not so much #7...the headcloth looks like it's choking her :)

    I really like the most recent one--with the greens and striking red hair. And you know, the design of the Turkish cover is quite appealing, if the period were correct!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have #5 and it's my favorite. The paper it's printed on is very good quality as well... very thick and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The french covers remind me of the Angelique books. I currently own nÂș4 and I used to own another that I actually liked a lot too (loaned it to a friend and never got it back...) it's this one http://ivmoores.com/katherine/cover_2003.bmp

    ReplyDelete