Friday, August 31, 2007

Spotlight On: Juliette Benzoni


Juliette Benzoni is a French author with a huge backlist of historical novels. She started by being a journalist till she was offered the opportunity to write a series of books to rival the Angelique series which had a huge success in the 1960s.


Since then she hasn't stopped writing series and stand alone books that cover several centuries of french history. Her books are a mix of romance and adventures with the occasional mystery (Catherine, Marianne...). Some are biographies and others could be considered historical fiction (Reines Tragiques or Tragedies Imperiales of which I haven't found an english edition). She has mentioned that she is a huge fan of Alexandre Dumas and that she loves to do research for her novels.


Unfortunately her later works don't seem to have found an english publisher and the older one's that were published seem to be out of print. That's one of the reasons I am more familiar with her more recent books than with the older series.

3 comments:

  1. Ana, it's so great that you are spotlighting these European authors. I hadn't heard of either of the ones you have done so far! I've checked and my library has one of this authors books so I am adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got one of her books in Portuguese in my TBR pile, I think it's the first in a trilogy, not sure which.

    ReplyDelete